It pays to be a member.
We have all the same products and services, so at first glance, First Credit Union might look like a traditional financial institution, but a closer look reveals fundamental differences with unique benefits for you and your community.
Benefits of Becoming a Member
Because we're a credit union and not a conventional bank, you'll need to become a member before opening an account. Being a First Credit Union member entitles you to a range of benefits including voting rights, annual profit share, unlimited 100% guarantee on your deposits, access to a national network of over 4,000 surcharge-free ATMs, and even an opportunity to join our Board of Directors.
Benefits for you
- You are an owner. Every member of First Credit Union is an owner with equal voting power. Whether you have ten dollars or ten million dollars, you have one vote and a say on how we do things.
- You are the centre of our universe. Whereas banks are accountable to their shareholders, it's our owners that we need to answer to - and that's you!
- You share in the profits. At First Credit Union, we share one third of our net profits with members (through annual profit share) and the community (through community impact programming) every year.
- You have access to a national network of ATMs. Credit Unions work together, which means you have access to over 4,000 surcharge-free ATMs across Canada - a larger network than most banks!
- Your deposits are 100% guaranteed. More than one million British Columbians enjoy the solid security and peace of mind that comes from saving at their credit union. The Credit Union Deposit Insurance Corporation of British Columbia, a statutory corporation, protects all British Columbia credit union depositors. Security, dependability, and trust - that's the unbeatable combination you will find at First Credit Union.
- You can feel good about banking. Credit unions have a set of cooperative principles and fundamental beliefs that guide their actions. Honesty, openness, social responsibility, and caring for others are the ethical values that keep us focused on positively impacting our members, employees and communities.
- You are part of something big. First Credit Union is local through and through, but we are also part of a global cooperative movement. Join millions of other people as we work to create a more equitable, sustainable and resilient world.
Members are also eligible to apply for First Credit Union Scholarships, Small Business Bursaries, and sponsorships to attend YES Leadership Camp - a week-long summer camp that teaches leadership and team-building skills.
Benefits for your community
At First Credit Union, one third of our net profit is shared with members and the community every year. Just by being a member, you are positively impacting your community. Learn more.
Say goodbye to ATM surcharges. With an ATM network bigger than most banks, credit union members have access to thousands of surcharge-free ATMs from sea to sea.
What's a ding free® ATM anyway? 'Ding free' means that members pay no surcharges at credit union & other participating ATM's across Canada for withdrawals, deposits and balance inquiries. Download the free ATM locator app.