How are we working towards a more sustainable future?
As a financial co-operative we are dedicated to bettering the planet and taking action.
Since 2017, environmental sustainability has been an organizational focus at First Credit Union. We've accomplished a lot and continue to work hard, but we acknowledge we still have a long way to go. We're proud to share some of the actions we have taken towards environmental sustainability so far:
- 2017 - Embarked on our first GHG Emissions Report led by a third party sustainability consultant
- 2019 - The Green Team, a cross-departmental employee working group focused on environmental sustainability, is convened with committees focused on Energy Use, Commuting, Paper Use and Waste Management
- 2019 - Engaged the qathet Regional District 'Let's Talk Trash' team to complete a waste audit at the Joyce Avenue branch & administration building in Powell River
- 2019 - Implemented an employee e-bike program & purchased four e-bikes for use by employees at our Bowen Island, Texada Island & Powell River locations
- 2020/2021 - Redirected and donated old office furniture & usable building materials from Joyce branch renovations
- 2021 - Engaged a third party sustainability consultant to complete GHG Emissions Report Card to compare efficiencies and identify areas of opportunity