Community Investment Funds
As a member-owned cooperative, one of the ways we return profits to our members is by investing in the communities we serve. Our annual Community Investment Funds are an opportunity for local groups to apply for funds that will make an impact in our community.
Community Investment Funds are different from our donation and sponsorship program. First, each year the size of the funds are calculated based on the size of our business; as our business grows, so does the amount we are able to award. Second, the successful applicants are chosen from a volunteer panel of employees and managers – giving all of our employees an opportunity to weigh-in on the projects that will affect the community they serve. Finally, Community Investment Funds are only available once per year. Applications are accepted in February and March; successful applicants are announced at our annual Annual General Meeting held in Powell River in May.
2017 Community Investment FundsWe are now accepting applications for the 2017 Community Investment Funds! The following funds are available for 2017:
- First Credit Union & Insurance Powell River: $4,600
- First Credit Union & Insurance Texada Island: $500
- First Credit Union & Insurance Comox Valley: $2,700
- First Credit Union & Insurance Cumberland: $2,000
- First Credit Union & Insurance Bowen Island: $1,000
To apply for a First Credit Union & Insurance Community Investment Fund in your community, please click here. Deadline for application is 11:59PM PST on April 1, 2017. Successful applicants will be announced at the First Credit Union Annual General Meeting held in Powell River in May.
If you would like to apply for the Westview Agencies Community Investment Fund in Powell River, please click here.
2016 Community Investment Fund recipients
- Powell River Child, Youth & Family Services (Recreation Wednesdays): $4,400
- Comox Valley Therapeutic Riding Society (Barn Buddies): $2,700
- Texada Food Bank: $650
- Cumberland 50 Plus H.U.B. Society: $1,400
- Coast Animal Welfare and Education Society (CAWES): $1,000
- (Westview Agencies Fund) PR Community Resource Centre (Monday Brunch): $1,200
2015 Community Investment Fund recipients
- Powell River Hospice Society: $4,150
- Texada Island Health Services Society (Cancer Group): $650
- CV Family Services Association (Creating Calm Program): $2,700
- Cumberland Community Schools Society (Mamacentric Program): $800
- Bowen Island Snug Cove House Society: $850
- (Westview Agencies Fund) Assumption Soup Kitchen: $600
- (Westview Agencies Fund) Kaleidoscope Art Collective: $600
2014 Community Investment Fund recipients
- Powell River Family Place: $4,000
- Courtenay Elementary School Friendship Garden: $2,700
- Texada Island Library: $650
- Cumberland Motorcycle Roundup: $700
- Bowen Island Community School PAC: $750
- (Westview Agencies Fund) Powell River Parks & Wildnerness: $600
- (Westview Agencies Fund) Powell River Council for Arts, Culture & Heritage: $600
If you have any questions or would like more information about any of the programs we sponsor, email email@example.com or call our Marketing and Communications department at (604)489-2006.